Thursday, June 18, 2009

Do Facebook Users Really Need Twitter?

Please tell me if I'm missing something here, but do you need Twitter if you have Facebook? When you update your Facebook profile (what you're doing right now), don't all your friends read this info (even on their phones) and perhaps comment on it? So is Twitter redundant? I say YES!

As a technology blogger (at least I consider myself technologically savvy) I often get asked, "Hey, why aren't you on Twitter?" In fact, I've had friends and colleagues on Twitter long before it was the trendy thing to do. I know Twitter is "cooler" than Facebook, but am not sure if I need it.

So people, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "tweeting" what you're up to with a message you want to blast your group of friends the same thing as updating your status on Facebook?. And Facebook offers so much more, including thousands of third-party applications (including games), photos and videos, groups and polls, news feeds, birthday reminders and so forth.

So why do you need Twitter if you have Facebook?

Furthermore, I have Facebook on my phone so I can read my friend’s updates wherever I am or better still, I can update my own status wherever I am. What say you?

No comments: